As a rural estate, we are aware of our role in the local community, not just in providing houses, and places to work, but in the way we manage our farm and woodlands, take care of our listed buildings and participate in village and rural life.
Our stewardship is long term, and we are proud of the part the Estate has played in the area over many years.
The Goldsmid Hall, Tudeley, was built by Sir Julian Goldsmid in 1879 to provide a place for those who worked on the farm and Estate to meet. Nearby, the Arnold Cooke Hall at All Saints Tudeley is a small community hall opened in a former Estate farm building.
Elsewhere the d’Avigdor – Goldsmid family made land available for community health provision. The first isolation hospital for Tonbridge and Southborough was established at Moatenden, Vauxhall Lane, in Victorian times, eventually closing after WWI.
Subsequently the Tonbridge Cottage Hospital, was established on Somerhill Estate land at Vauxhall Lane, in the 1930s, and this is now leased to the NHS.
After WW1, Sir Osmond d’Avidgor-Goldmid gave land and support in the building of the Memorial Cottages in Five Oak Green to commemorate those men who had fought and died in the Great War and support their families and those who returned from the front.
More recently, the building of the solar park has contributed not only to clean energy provision for the parish of Capel cum Tudeley, but enabled donations to the local Parish Council and Capel Community Association to fund improvements to the Village Hall and contribute towards sports facilities in Five Oak Green.
An estate like ours does not work in isolation, and we are always open to discussion with our neighbours, the Parish Council and local Council about plans for the future, including community projects.